Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Watercolour Swirls

Since my earlier design "Nature-Inspired" took a little bit of brain and design time, I simplified this next one for today's Splitcoast colour challenge (CC197). I also followed the Mojo Monday Week #64 sketch for my inspiration but omitted the sentiment. My design stemmed from this gorgeous border pattern from Penny Black. This is one of my first stamps (although when I first got into it, I bought a load!). I still love it and usually choose to watercolour, which is what I have done here using an aquapainter and baja breeze, kiwi kiss and not quite navy inks. To define the flowers and leaves further I also went over with a blender pen. The rest is really just layers of cardstock embellished with cuttlebug embossing. To create the 'belt' panel, I cut two pieces of basic gray cardstock using my nestabilities rectangle scallop die, then trimmed the straight edges and overlapped matching the bottom edge.

Stamps: daisy pattern, Penny Black
Ink: SU baja breeze, kiwi kiss and not quite navy; Versafine in onyx black
Paper: SU baja breeze, kiwi kiss, not quite navy, basic gray and very vanilla (textured); Strathmore Watercolor cold press 140lb paper
Other: nestabilities rectangular scallop die; eyelet setter; eyelets from Magic Scraps; pop dots; cuttlebug 'swiss dots' and 'swirls' embossing folders; SU kiwi kiss satin ribbon; aquapainter and blender pen

2 comments:

Karen Motz said...

Really pretty Nancy! I like the overlapped nesties...cool idea. :)

Leah said...

Hi Nancy,
I found your blog through Karen Motz's blog, and was wondering if you'd be interested in doing some design work for my blog. You can email me at photosinpink@gmail.com.

Thanks!
Leah Moynihan