Monday, December 1, 2008

Inspiration from Starbucks

Starbucks design has always impressed me--from their suggestive siren to the cups, packaging, merchandising and print media. Have you seen their wreaths this year?! Awesome! I'm working on one now with wool and shiny balls and I'll post it when it's finished. This year's holiday cup is no exception. I love the distressed red, deer and I think there's even a bird in there somewhere, Karen. So, I was inspired to make a card...


Starting with a clean sheet of SU whisper white, I stamped the snowflakes with VersaMark and heat embossed with clear embossing powder. I cut branches from several large sticky notes to create the tree mask, then sponged and distressed the background with both SU real red and riding hood red ink (I think). I also made the darker marks using my brayer wrapped randomly with elastics. After I removed the tree mask, I clear embossed the Inkadinkado bird, lightly sponged over the tree and stamped a few red flakes. I stamped the buck from the SU Winter Post set with VersaMark and embossed with white embossing powder--unfortunately not detail white by the looks of it. Of course, I had to mount the black on green because of my inspiration, so I used Wasabi. I'm not sure who would want this card, but it was my little challenge. Does anyone want to take it and run with it--the challenge, that is!

Stamps: bird and snowflakes, Inkadinkado; Winter Post, Stampin' UP!; Merry Christmas, I'll get back to you...
Ink: VersaMark, SU real red and riding hood red
Paper: SU whisper white, SU basic black, SU riding hood red textured, SU wasabi
Other: Coluzzle, white and clear embossing powder, riding hood red taffeta ribbon, sponges, brayer, elastics

3 comments:

Karen Motz said...

Fabulous card Nancy! What a great idea to use the Buckies cup for inspiration...I'll have to get myself some inspiration today! My favourite part is the bird (surprise, surprise) but I love the tree and the buck too.I think he fits in well with the distressed look of the card.

Karen Motz said...

Hi Nancy
I finally had a chance to play for your Starbucks Challenge. Here are my creations:
http://paperplayhouse.blogspot.com/2008/12/starbucks-inspiration.html

Leslie said...

Wow! You made that tree from post it notes - that's very cool! Not sure I can rise to the challenge but I do feel a Starbucks run coming on :)